Thursday, August 24, 2017

I Shall Return

Yesterday, Wednesday August 23, 2017 was a good day. With the help of expert otolaryngologist, Dr. Scott Magnuson, who managed my airway to facilitate intubation, surgical oncologist Dr. Sebastian De La Fuente successfully conducted the planned excision of tissue around the area that had previously tested positive for Angiosarcoma. In addition, he removed some inguinal lymph nodes for biopsy.  I am indebted to these dedicated surgeons and the wonderful team of caregivers at Florida Hospital Celebration for their professionalism, compassion, and caring, including the two nuclear medicine graduates from Adventist University of Health Sciences who did my NMR/CT scan the previous evening. I could not be more proud when receiving care from these ADU graduates, who along with the entire team demonstrate the mission of Florida Hospital - extending the healing ministry of Christ.
Although the surgeons had previously planned on a one-night hospital for observation to ensure my medical stability, I was discharged at the end of the day with the opportunity to rest at home in the comfort of my own bed. The intubation went so smoothly that I have had no oropharyngeal discomfort; only slight soreness at the surgery site but no post-op pain. Due to my limited mobility, I am expected to rest up up for a few days as healing progresses and I plan to return to work when my pain threshold and mobility allows. The results of the lymph node biopsy will determine whether further surgery will be required and whether chemotherapy will be needed. However, after healing of the site, in about six weeks, my radiation treatments will begin.
But permit me to share another war story.  Between 1939 and 1945, Allied Forces on the Western Front, primarily from Britain, France, and the United States accompanied by many other European, Australian, African, and Asian forces, fought valiantly against the Germans. Seizing on the preoccupation of the United States in the European theatre, Japanese forces unleashed an unprovoked attack on the United States at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. General Douglas MacArthur named the leader of United States Military Forces in the Far East during that time. After numerous losses, MacArthur and his family were forced to retreat to Australia. He then gave a speech in which he famously promised the residents of the Philippines and the islands of the South Pacific, "I shall return." After more than two years of fighting in the Pacific, he fulfilled that promise. Return, he did! For his defense of the Philippines, MacArthur was awarded the Medal of Honor. He officially accepted Japan's surrender on September 2, 1945, aboard the USS Missouri anchored in Tokyo Bay, and oversaw the occupation of Japan from 1945 to 1951.
Millions of men around the world joined the Allied forces, including thousands from the colonies of the expansive British Empire around the world, many of whom volunteered to fight against the forces of Germany and Japan. American and British generals were hailed as heroes among the colonies as the allied forces fought valiantly to defeat the forces of racism and fascism. My parents named me Len McArthur Archer - my middle name (spelling nonetheless) a tribute to the great American general who was venerated by many colonials of the British empire after the war. I grew up knowing that the name evoked emotions of resolve, grit, and promise. 
There are many things worth fighting for, or at least making a valiant effort to achieve. In spite of the challenges I have experienced in recent years, rest assured that the grit and determination of the  iconic MacArthur is mine. I look forward to a full recovery and back to work and play, and the love of family and friends.

I SHALL RETURN!

Love and Blessings,
Len

9 comments:

Julie said...

I'm glad to hear it went well! (And that you got treated by former ADU students.) Praising God that you "shall return" like your name sake.

Dr. L. Callender said...

Len,
A-men!!! To God be the Glory, you shall return!! We are all praying and looking forward to your full-recovery and soon return. God bless and thank you for the inspiring update.
Lynelle

Fred Stephens said...

That's half the battle just believing you can! Thank God for the success so far!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for a smooth procedure. Thank you for that inspirational recount of MacArthur's promise. I'm proud of your resilience, as my cousin you represent everything positive in our bloodline.

Gammaray said...

I look forward to you return. Your presence here at ADU is always missed when you are not here.

Unknown said...

Hi Dr. Archer,

I am glad that the surgery went well.
I will pray for your speedy recovery and safe return to ADU (with a big smile on your face).

Blessings,

Lee Ferencsik

Melodie said...

Thanks for sharing your gratitude for the gifted medical care surrounding you, and the strength your middle name evokes!

Unknown said...

Yes you will. Stay strong - God is in control!

Dying_daily said...

Thank you for sharing your story Dr. Archer. May God continue to give you the grit and fighting power needed to be His solider on the battle field!